Cheese Stuffed Capsicum
Thank you Irene from WA for a recipe for the diet conscious and which is suitable for those who are vegetarians:
125g Ricotta Cheese
125g Low Fat Cottage Cheese
5 Medium Sized Ripe Tomatoes (or 1 x 425g Can of Tomatoes)
1 Teaspoon Dried Basil
1 Teaspoon Chopped Parsley
2 Spring Onions
4 Large Green (or Red) Well Shaped Firm Capsicums
Salt and Pepper
2 Egg Whites
- Remove a slice of capsicum from the stalk end (retain the cap/slice), scrape out seeds and white membranes & wash & drain well.
- Peel and finely chop tomatoes (drain well if using canned).
- Beat together the two cheeses and when well mixed stir in chopped tomatoes.
- Add basil, parsley, spring onions & salt and pepper into mixture.
- Beat egg whites until very stiff and fold lightly through the mixture.
- Arrange peppers in a shallow baking tray.
- Fill each of the capsicums with the mixture & replace slick/cap lightly.
- Pour 2 or 3 tablespoons of water (or, if using canned tomatoes the juice from the can) into the base of the tray.
- Bake in moderate to hot oven for approximately 35 minutes.
- Serve hot.
This recipe serves four and is fine for vegetarians, having good flavour and acceptable protein content. For those watching their weight it os around 545 kilojoules per serve.