Baked Cheese-Filled Sweet Peppers
- 2 large red peppers
- 2 large green peppers
- 315g ricotta cheese, drained
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup/30 g breadcrumbs, made from stale bread
- 60 g grated parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 egg whites
1 Preheat oven to 200 degrees-C.
2 Cut red and green peppers in half lengthwise. Remove
seeds and membrane. Place peppers, cut side up, in a lightly
greased baking dish.
3 Combine ricotta cheese, spring onions, orange rind,
almonds, chives, breadcrumbs, half the parmesan cheese and
black pepper to taste in a bowl.
4 Place egg whites in a bowl and beat until stiff
peaks form. Fold egg white mixture into ricotta mixture.
5 Divide mixture between pepper halves. Sprinkle with
remaining parmesan cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until filling
is puffed and golden.