Flea Cemeteries or Fruit Slice Slab
225g Shortcrust Pastry
55g Mixed Peel
Grated Rind of ½ Lemon
Egg (Beaten for Glaze)
55g Soft Brown Sugar
225g - 500g Cooking Apples (Peeled, Cored & Chopped)
- Roll out two-thirds of the pastry and use to line a shallow 190mm to 200ml
diameter round baking dish.
- Combine currants, sultanas, sugar, chopped apples & lemon rind and place
in the pastry lined baking dish.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into 10 narrow strips long enough to
lay over the top of the baking dish.
- Lay the pastry strips in a lattice pattern over the filling.
- Dampen the ends of the pastry strips and stick them to the pastry edge.
- Trim edges of strips and crimp the edges.
- Brush top of strips with the beaten egg.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake at 220ºC for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 175ºC for about 30 minutes.
Serve hot or cold as a dessert with a dollop of cream or as a
cold snack with morning or afternnon tea.