Baked Breaded Tomatoes
500ml (2 cups) bread, grated/processed into crumbs
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1, 1/2 tsp oregano
12 Roma tomatoes (quartered lengthwise)
4 spring onions, thinly sliced (including green portions)
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp sugar
1. Preheat an oven to 190C (375F). Coat a glass or
ceramic baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, combine the crumbs, cheese, olive oil,
parsley, and oregano.
3. Toss vigorously to coat the crumbs evenly; then
4. In a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high
heat, combine the tomatoes, onions, pepper, and sugar. Saute
until the tomatoes soften slightly, which should take about
about 8-10 minutes.
5. Spread half the tomato mixture over the bottom
of the prepared baking dish, then sprinkle with half the crumb
mixture over this. Spoon the remaining tomato mixture over
the crumbs, then sprinkle the remaining crumbs evenly over
6. Bake until the crumb topping is crisp and browned,
which will, on average, take about 20 minutes.
Tip: Cool 5 minutes before serving. This dish
is also rather tasty with more spice - try adding chopped
(fresh or dried) chili, or chili flakes, or paprika, to the breadcrumb mixture for more