Barbecued Squid Salad with Lemon & Chilli Dressing Recipe
With summer on our door step the smell of BBQs will begin to permeate the air. Consider a Barbecued Squid Salad with Lemon & Chilli Dressing served with the squid place on top of mixed salad and herbs and drizzled with dressing as one for the menu. Serves 4.
- 1 Tablespoon Chilli Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Rind (Finely Grated)
- 2 Teaspoons Black Peppercorns (Crushed)
- 500g Small Squid (Calamari) Tubes (Cleaned)
- 30g Fresh Basil Leaves
- 30g Fresh Mint Leaves
- 30g Fresh Coriander Leaves
- Lemon & Chilli Dressing
- 1 Fresh Green Chilli (Chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
- Combine oil, lemon rind and peppercorns in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Add squid and marinate for 30 minutes (longer if you want them to be more tender and with stronger flavour).
- Preheat barbecue, char-grill pan or frying pan to a high heat.
- Line a serving platter with the basil, mint and coriander. Cover with plastic food wrap and chill until ready to serve.
- To make dressing, combine chilli, sugar, lemon juice and soy sauce in a bowl.
- Cook squid on barbecue or in char-grill pan or frying pan for 30 seconds each side or until tender - take care not to overcook or the squid will become tough.
Tip 1: To clean fresh squid - the ideal way to BBQ - pull tentacles from the squid, carefully taking with them the stomach and ink bag. Then cut the beak, stomach and ink bag from the tentacles and discard.
Tip 2: Wash tentacles well. Wash 'hood' and peel away skin. For this recipe, the hoods are usually left whole, though if you want, the tentacles can be cut into small pieces and also used in the dish.
The Weeks Top Five Recipes