Blitz Torte Recipe
A Blitz Torte is a traditional German recipe and is such a quick and easy cake to make. You'll find it great for holidays, birthdays or just about any occasion.
- 110g Shortening (Butter)
- 4 Eggs (Separated Into Yokes & Whites)
- 55ml Milk
- ½ Cup Almonds (Sliced & Blanched)
- ½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 110g Self Raising Flour (Sifted)
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 110g Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- Cream (Thickened)
- In Season or Canned Fruit 1
- Cream shortening.
- Beat in 110g sugar, then egg yokes, vanilla, milk and flour.
- Spread mixture into two round greased cake pans (180mm diameter approx.)
- Beat egg whites until very light and add ¾ cup sugar gradually until completely mixed.
- Spread mixture from 4 above equally into the unbaked mixture in both pans.
- Sprinkle almonds, 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon over mixture.
- Bake in moderate oven at 180ºC for about 30 minutes.
- Let cool and remove from pans.
- Spread one layer with a chosen fruit1 and thickened cream.
- Place the other layer on top making a sandwich.
[ 1 Fruit could be peaches, pineapple, raspberries or loganberries.]
The Weeks Top Five Recipes