Cheese Stuffed Capsicum Recipe
Thank you Irene from WA for this Cheese Stuffed Capsicum Recipe. It serves four and is fine for vegetarians, having good flavour and acceptable protein content. For those watching their weight it is around 545 kilojoules per serve.
- 125g Ricotta Cheese
- 125g Low Fat Cottage Cheese
- 5 Medium Sized Ripe Tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Chopped Parsley
- 2 Spring Onions
- 4 Large Green (or Red/Yellow) Well Shaped Firm Capsicums
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Egg Whites
- Remove a slice of capsicum from the stalk end (retain the cap/slice), scrape out seeds and white membranes & wash & drain well.
- Peel and finely chop tomatoes (drain well if using canned).
- Beat together the two cheeses and when well mixed stir in chopped tomatoes.
- Add basil, parsley, spring onions & salt and pepper into mixture.
- Beat egg whites until very stiff and fold lightly through the mixture.
- Arrange peppers in a shallow baking tray.
- Fill each of the capsicums with the mixture & replace slick/cap lightly.
- Pour 2 or 3 tablespoons of water (or, if using canned tomatoes the juice from the can) into the base of the tray.
- Bake in moderate to hot oven for approximately 35 minutes.
- Serve hot.
The Weeks Top Five Recipes