Chinese Prawn & Chicken Soup Recipe
This traditional Chinese dish has that zesty taste and refreshing flavour you come to expect from an Asian soup. Impress your friends with this easy to prepare Chinese Prawn and Chicken Soup. Serves 4.
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion (Diced)
- 1 Red Pepper (Diced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Crushed)
- 1 Teaspoon Finely Chopped Fresh Ginger
- 1Litre Chicken Stock (Purchased or Homemade)
- 125g Boneless Chicken Thigh Fillets or Chicken Breast Fillets (Sliced)
- 20 Small Prawns (Uncooked, Shelled & Deveined)
- 125g Rice Noodles (Very Thin)
- 125g Canned Bamboo Shoots (Drained & Sliced)
- 5 Button Mushrooms (Thinly Sliced)
- ¼ Lettuce (Shredded)
- 2 Spring Onions (Thinly sliced)
- 2 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Coriander
- 1½ Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Heat oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion and red pepper. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add garlic and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in stock. Bring to the boil. Add chicken, prawns, noodles, bamboo shoots and mushrooms. Bring to simmer and simmer for 5 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Stir in lettuce, spring onions, coriander, soy sauce and black pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
Tip: Barbecued Chinese pork or duck - usually available from Chinese butchers or supermarkets - can be added to this soup for a really authentic touch. Rice noodles are also called rice Vermicelli or Rice Sticks and vary in size from a very thin Vermicelli style to a ribbon noodle about 5mm wide. Also, many people also soak the noodles before using in cooking.
The Weeks Top Five Recipes