Beef Burritos with Avocado Mayo Recipe
A great little Mexican style dish that can be served as a snack or as the main course. It's hot and it's filling. Serve your Beef Burritos hot and spooned with the Avocado mayonnaise. Top with chopped spring onion and enjoy! Serves 8
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 500g Lean Beef Mince
- 30g Chilli Seasoning Mix
- 125ml Bottled "hot" Tomato Salsa
- 440g Canned Tomatoes (Undrained & Mashed)
- 125ml beef stock
- 315g Canned Red Kidney Beans (Rinsed & Drained)
- 8 Tortillas
- 90 g Butter (Melted)
- 1 Spring Onion (Cut Into Strips)
Ingredients Avocado Mayonnaise:
- 1 Large Avocado (Peeled & Seeded)
- 125g Sour Cream
- 60ml Cream (Double)
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
- Chilli Powder
- Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add beef. Cook, stirring, until meat is brown.
- Stir in seasoning mix, salsa, tomatoes, stock and beans. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until mixture reduces and thickens slightly. Leave to cool.
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Brush tortillas with butter. Stack on a greased 30 x 60 cm piece of aluminum foil. Wrap tortillas tightly in foil. Bake for 15 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 180°C.
- (Alternatively, just microwave the tortillas for 1:30 minutes on medium high)
- Spoon meat mixture into the centre of each tortilla. Fold tortilla like an envelope to form a parcel. NB. You can optionally bake the burritos by placing them seam side down in a shallow ovenproof dish if you have the time. Brush with butter. Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- To make mayonnaise, place avocado, sour cream, cream, lemon juice, mayonnaise and a pinch of chilli powder in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
Tip: A variety of tortillas can be used and are available from specialty food shops and most supermarkets nowadays. Salsa also works well with the burritos, which you can make a simple version by combining chilli, garlic and mashed tomotoes.
The Weeks Top Five Recipes