Breaded Eggplant (Melanzana Impanata)
Breaded Eggplant (or Melanzana Impanata) is a recipe that everyone likes. It is a Sicilian dish and is served up as a starter, as a main dish or a filling for sandwiches. Serve it up hot and watch your guests dive in. (Serves 4).
- 1 Large Eggplant
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 2 Eggs (Beaten)
- 110g Bread Crumbs
- 30g Parmesan Cheese (Grated)
- 1/8 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Basil
- Cut eggplant into vertical slices. (Do not peel.)
- Sprinkle salt on each slice.
- Put slices flat on a plate and put a weighted plate on top. Let stand for about one hour then drain and pat dry slices.
- Mix breadcrumbs with cheese, pepper and basil.
- Dip each slice of eggplant in the beaten eggs and then cover each with the breadcrumb mix.
- Fry eggplant slices in oil until golden brown.
- Drain and serve immediately.
The Weeks Top Five Recipes